Saturday, September 15, 2012

degrassi babes

When I was an 8th grader going into the 9th grade, I created an elaborate fantasy in my mind telling myself that high school was going to be like Degrassi. I wanted the mean cheerleader, I wanted to know kids whose  parents had cancer or who had gotten abortions when they were like 14, I wanted to be in a band called The Zit Remedy and only have one hit single.. I had somehow connected in my mind that in order to have an interesting life, you had to have drama. And not just any regular teenage drama, DEGRASSI DRAMA.

There was a sudden urge to grow up for me, or at least, to be the cool high school girl. And in order to know how to do this, I turned to the closest thing I had that seemed like an adequate guide into teaching me how to handle lesbian teachers, shoplifting friends, parties with alcohol, and at the same time-- remaining ~cool~.

During my search for eternal high school coolness, I was going through an odd, yet totally not regrettable, 80's phase. I listened to Cars by Gary Numan for hours on end, I watched and watched and rewatched The Goonies until I was greeting my friends with, "HEEY YOU GUUUYYSSS," and I was collecting style ideas from icons like Cyndi Lauper, Molly Ringwald, and the totally cool babes from Degrassi (80's of course)

Here is a post made in honor of my two favorite style babes of Degrassi: Caitlin and Spike. 
Obviously Caitlin didn't really care what "flattered" her when it came to wardrobe, she always wore pretty loose-fitting clothing that was sometimes masculine. 

The Caitlin Ryan signature headband. There are so many failed attempts in my past of trying to do this look. Only Caitlin can do it </3

So new wave. The think I loved the most about Caitlin was that she didn't really "fit" into a certain clique in Degrassi. She flowed through different crowds and ultimately did her own thing and was still very likeable. 

Another masculine look on Caitlin. But she is still totally hot.

This one reminds me of a pirate version of Minnie Mouse. So rad.

I like to call her signature streak the "Bride of Frankenstien streak." I think it fits. I can't really tell in this picture but it looks like she's wearing a necklace with the Egyptian ankh symbol, this just makes Caitlin 103455993+ times more rad for being totally in touch with other cultures/religions!!! Ugh Caitlin <3

That hair. That brooch. That penetrating gaze.

Caitlin's outfit here reminds me of a really toned down version of Nancy Spungen. Shout out to Joey's fashion sense too.
I CANNOT elaborate enough on how much I love that print on Spike's sweater... or, how much I love Spike in general. She was pretty well known for sporting the vest/tee combo, bolo ties, scarves, turtlenecks, and even though everyone wore pretty big jackets during the winter, she sported the long coat the best.


Spike at it again with her vest/tee combo. Shoutout to Liz and her skinhead rebelliousness.

What I loved most about Spike and her style was that even though she was short, and I mean shorter than most of the girls on the show, she used her style and edginess to make herself seem far more than just the cutesy, little girl, which she definitely was not. That is a damn hard thing to pull off when you're short.

I never though spandex biker shorts and acid washed denim could look so good together.

Spike got me into dressing "punk" and somewhat "new wave." She wore skirts with clunky shoes and she wore cute cardigans with bolo ties. It made me feel like I didn't have to be restricted to the ideal feminine way of dressing. I can wear mini skirts and fat shoes with ties and still feel super hot and girly. 

I forgot to mention, I was VERY close to cutting/doing my hair to a similar style. Very close.

Let's just take a gander at Spike in her natural, cool state rocking a Smiths T shirt before 500 Days Of Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment